She Skills workshops are designed by women, for women. We want you to feel confident enough to imagine, design and create great things.
She Skills has teamed up with Tafe Qld Skillstech to present this introductory welding workshop. Over 7 hours you will learn basic welding theory and skills in Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), also know as Metal Inert Gas welding (MIG) . During the class you will learn some basic welding joints, have plenty of time to practice to understand how the materials behave. You will also have the opportunity ask plenty of questions from our experienced instructor to understand the applications different types of welding are suitable for.
Welding is a skill that is honed over years of practice, so don't expect to go home an expert. Our aim in this session is to give you some basic skills and knowledge, increase your confidence and show you what's possible with practice. Should you get hooked, we'd love to talk to you about the next level of training!!
You will be learning in an encouraging and social environment with other like minded women. Check out our facebook page to see what you can expect.
You don't need any prior experience to attend. Complete beginners are welcome, as are those that already have some skills and would like an opprtunity to practice and learn from an expert instructor. She Skills is building a community of confident and capable women, who are happy to get outside their comfort zone and take on a challenge.
We are proud members of the Maker Movement. In a world of rampant consumption, the simple art of making something with your own hands can bring you immeasurable pleasure. And if it’s made well, it might just last you a lifetime.
REFUND POLICY: As this is a special workshop, we are unable to provide refunds or transfers.
PLEASE NOTE: This workshop is run by Tafe Qld Skills Tech. In order for particpants to be covered by their insurance, you are required to be enrolled by Tafe Qld Skillstech. Your information will be shared with Tafe Qld Skillstech for enrolment purposes only.
This class is 7 hours in duration and takes place on Saturday.
- Understanding of safe welding practices
- How to set up and maintain welding equipment
- Basic GMAW welding techniques and simple joints
- Confidence to undertake more advanced welding training
- Lunch provided
- An opportunity to work with experienced instructors to ask all the questions you've been dying to ask
- Basic knowledge of materials and equipment for GMAW welding
- We provide all the tools, materials and safety gear.
- A water bottle. Welding is seriously hot work!!
You MUST wear long sleeves and long pants in cotton drill (jeans are fine). Steel caps are MANDATORY. If you don't own steel caps, make sure you tell us your size so we can ensure to have some you can borrow. Long hair MUST be tied up.
She Skills workshops are FOR WOMEN ONLY. This class is suitable for beginners aged 15+. Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult.
Vendor sincce 2016
She Skills is a collaboration between partners in life and work, Meg and Clint Solly, whose creative credentials go way back. Team Solly has been a creative force since 2000, when they met as performers.
Clint is a qualified furniture tradesperson with 20 years experience building everything from solid timber furniture to theatrical sets.
Meg has been Clint's trusty trades assistant for many years and is now officially an apprentice cabinet maker. Meg has worked on large construction projects around the country.
Together they have years of experience in training people of all ages. She Skills is a passion project that challenges stereotypes and helps women to find a new confidence to try skills that they previously thought were beyond their capabilities.
Cancelling your spot in a class
- Bookings are final. Please double check the date of the workshop before booking. Cancellations will result in forfeit of payment.
- In general, bookings are transferrable to a new date (for the same class) provided you give us at least 72 hours notice.
- You may offer your spot to a friend, we will transfer the booking into their name (you must arrange any transfer of money between yourself and your friend).
- Non-attendance under any circumstances forfeits the fee paid and is non-transferable.
- Cancellation of one-off workshops or workshops that are not held on a regular basis are strictly non-refundable or transferable.
If we cancel a class
- All classes require a minimum number of bookings to proceed. Minimum numbers vary from class to class. Classes that do not have the required minimum will be cancelled.
- Participants will be notified 48 hours prior to the start of the class and will be offered the choice of having their spot transfered to the next available class, a credit to be used towards another class or a full refund.
- If a teacher is unable to attend a class due to illness or other extreme circumstances we will postpone the class to a later date and inform you as early as possible.
- We can not be held liable for any travel or other costs in the event of a cancellation.
- We do our best to ensure classes go ahead.
© 2017 She Skills. All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.
Health and Safety
She Skills takes the safety and wellbeing of our students very seriously. We carry public liability insurance and carry out risk assessments prior to every workshop. You understand the inherently risky nature of activities that you will undertake at She Skills and agree to:
- follow all reasonable instructions given by She Skills personnel/sub-contractors
- work within your limits and advise She Skills personnel if you are not comfortable performing a task
- advise She Skills of any illness/injury which may inhibit your ability to undertake the workshop so that we can work together to find a safe alternative to complete the tasks
She Skills is focused on increasing and improving the representation of women in non-traditional roles, whether that be in a domestic or vocational capacity. By sharing the images of women of all ages and abilities undertaking tasks that have traditionally been seen as masculine, we believe we are contributing to a future of greater choice for women (and men). We love to take lots of photographs and share them on our social media channels and we love it when our students share too!!
By participating in a She Skills workshop, you understand that your image may be used in She Skills social media, third parties and media and promotional material. However, we also respect your right to privacy, so if you are uncomfortable having your picture taken and shared online, please let the instructor know on the day of your workshop.
By participating in a She Skills workshop, you agree to receive the She Skills newsletter. Don't worry, we hate spam too and we will never share your information with any other organisation. You can unsubscribe at any time
Should you have any questions about any of these terms and conditions, please don't hesitate to contact us.