In this workshop you will learn the basics of setting up a sewing machine. You will learn about the different stitches and when best to use them. Once you've had a practice run on some scrap material, we'll put your new skills to practice by creating a simple square cushion. You will be working on a beginners sewing machine that is extremely easy and functional to use.
- How to set up a sewing machine
- Measure and cut material
- Sew a simple cushion
- A complete beginners sewing session, taught by a qualified Textile Designer
- Fabric to make their cushion cover & option to purchase an insert
- Access to the members-only section on our website with a PDF handout of the class
- Just your enthusiasm!
Open to everyone interested!
Vendor since 2018
Sydney Creative, previously Scribble & Sew, was launched in 2019 by Textile Designer Sophie Parry.
Creativity is, and always has been, the driving force in Sophie's life. From an early age she would always swap the dolls and toys for a pen and notepad. She never minded being left to her own devices while her parents needed to go shopping. With a colouring-in book to hand Sophie happily sat quietly either scribbling away or patiently filling in each tiny hole in the fabric of her red tights – the latter much to their frustration.
Sophie's creativity and passion for art led to an interest in fabrics, sewing and textiles. It was at university where Sophie found her feet in the textiles profession, developing the skills and techniques that would guide her on her own journey in textile design. During this time, Sophie won several awards for her textile work and was chosen to exhibit her final third year project at the prestigious New Designers exhibition in London.
Upon graduating, Sophie left her hometown in Wales to experience different cultures around the world. By 2017 Sophie was settled in Sydney and decided to launch her Handmade Baby Boutique brand Scribble & Sew. In 2018 Sophie introduced sewing workshops to teach others how to sew.
Sophie's sewing workshops became increasingly busy and Sophie had the dream of offering more workshops, not just sewing. As a Textile Designer and Mixed Media Artist, Sophie had the dream of teaching more workshops, from painting to punch needling and more. In order to make this dream a reality, Sophie launched the workshops under a new name - Sydney Creative.
We understand that sometimes things happen and you wont be able to make it on the day. Please let us know as soon as possible if you cannot make it.
We do not offer refunds, however you may transfer the date of your workshop to another day.
If you cancel with less than 24 hour notice, there will be a $10 transfer fee added to your booking, this is to cover admin costs and time spent setting up for your class.
- To secure a place in one of our workshops, you must book and pay through the weteachme platform. A confirmation email will be sent to you and someone from the Scribble & Sew team will be in touch.
- In order to fully benefit from our workshops, please arrive on time. Some workshops may take longer to finish, depending on the group's previous knowledge and experience.
- If for any reason we need to postpone or cancel your booking, we will notify you asap via text or email. In this case, we will offer you a full refund or you may choose to reschedule.
Cancel or Reschedule
- We understand that sometimes things happen and you wont be able to make it on the day. Please let us know as soon as possible if you cannot make it. We do not offer refunds, however you may transfer the date of your workshop to another day. If you cancel on the day of your workshop, there will be a $10 transfer fee added to your booking, this is to cover the time we will have spent setting up for your class.
- We do not offer refunds or rescheduling for students who don't arrive to their booked session.
- You acknowledge that in this workshop you will be using various tools, scissors, rotary cutters, sewing machines and other materials, all of which are used at your own risk.