Do you see all those lamps at op shops and dream of recovering them for your home? Or maybe you don't love the 70's mission brown and orange graphic prints? We'll teach you how to take an existing drum lampshade and recover it in a new fabric, add some trim and tada!
We are all about recycling, reusing and reducing waste - so please note that in this class we are teaching you how to recover existing shades, not how to create a shade from base rings.
Flashback Fabric and Wallpaper on High Street at Northcote is an awesome destination to find vintage and also reproduction fabrics in dress and upholstery weights for your lamp recovering needs.
Thread Den VIP Member's Pricing
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy – Click Here
Two hours in duration
- How to create a pattern from an existing drum shade
- About fabric selection, backing options, covering technique, finishing and trimming
- Learn about the materials and techniques
- A recovered lampshade made by you!
- A bag of pegs (approx 20)
- A light coloured lampshade, with it's shade backing still intact. It needs to be a drum or cylinder frame (as per the photo).
- Enough cotton fabric to cover your lamp circumference (best fabrics = cotton, linen, canvas. Avoid synthetics).
- Optional ribbon trim or bias binding to finish off the inside edge at the top & bottom rings
- A roll of double sided tape; 1cm wide - visit your hardware store for the best quality options
This is perfect for an absolute beginner.
Vendor sincce 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
On occasion, Thread Den is forced to cancel a class due to low booking numbers. We really don't like to do this as we love to teach people to sew, knit and crochet, but if we don't cover our costs we can't run the class. In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24 hours or more prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
Cancellations of Bookings Policy
- If you provide notice seven or more days prior to the start of your course, you will need to pay an administration fee of $10.
- Cancellations or changes made with less than seven days notice before the start of a course, will forfeit 50% of the paid class fee.
- Cancellations or changes made less than 48 hours prior to class commencement will forfeit the full course fee paid.
If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you cannot be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Sewing Lounge during hours so you hopefully still finish your project.
Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
Classes at Thread Den frequently become fully booked, so we require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place.
Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the store in cash, EFT or credit card or even via credit card over the phone.
Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.
Thank you for reading all the details.