Crochet Basics for Beginners Course
by Thread Den
Six hours in total to get you hooked! Crochet is a language of its own, but a language that also differs from the UK to the US. In an eternal battle between metric and imperial, singles vs doubles (and we don't mean tennis), letters vs sizes, weight vs ply... it is enough to leave you curled in the corner of the yarn department rocking back and forth. But we are here to demystify this crazy confusion and leave you with an addiction to crochet!
We have developed a course that will thoroughly explain all the elements of crochet. You'll get a great understanding of the terminology, tools, yarn weights and types, how to hold your hands, reading patterns, making swatches to check your tension/gauge and of course creating all the basic crochet stitches. Over the three weekly workshops, you will also receive extensive class notes that will provide you with a reference tool you can come back to time and time again.
What you'll be making:
- Week 1: While de-mystifying the language of crochet, you'll make a chain stitch necklace
- Week 2: Make a headband, perfect to keep your bangs out of your eyes or your ears warm
- Week 3: A tri-coloured scarf
Types of Crochet Workshops available at Thread Den:
- If you want a more comprehensive understanding of crochet that explains all its nuances, book this one, the "Crochet Basics for Beginners Course".
- Not sure if you'll like it and just want a taste? Learn only the essentials for a specific project. An intro workshop is also a great way to get a refresher and reignite your passion for hooking. Check out Intro to Crochet: The Chevron Blanket Workshop - click here or the Intro to Crochet: The Granny Square Workshop - click here.
- or even have a look at our longer programs: The Crochet Clubs - click here.
Grab yourself a Thread Den membership and take advantage of the discount - click here to read more.
- Learn many crochet stitches, work in rows and rounds, change colours
- How to decipher UK & US terminology, read patterns
- All about yarn types, the variety of hooks, tension/gauge and working swatches... and much, much more
- Detailed class notes that will arm you with an extensive reference tool
- A chain necklace, headband and tri-coloured scarf all made by you!
- Patterns and instructions to make each item again
- Level 1, 329 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. Look for the red door.
- Most Brunswick St parking is ticketed & max' 2hrs. However, longer time parking is available in the paid Coles Car Park.
- Public Transport is the ideal way to get here - jump on the 11 tram & get off at Johnston St.
- Week 1: 9mm hook & a ball of chunky yarn 12ply + (or combine two 8ply yarns)
- Week 2: 5mm hook & one ball of 8 ply yarn
- Week 3: 4.5mm hook & three balls of 8 ply yarn each a different colour
This is perfect for an absolute crochet beginner
Vendor since 2013
Have you played with the idea of learning to sew? Do you day dream about making your own clothes?
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew. There is no need to clear off a space and find somewhere to work at home. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to. Everything is right here. Students simply need to bring along their fabric, matching thread and notions like buttons, zips, etc. Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Thread Den is located at Level 1, 329 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, or find your own unique style.
Bookings and Cancellations Policy Link - http://www.threadden.com/_pages/bookings_cancellations.html
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. There is an easy sign up box on the homepage of our website.
- Notice given by student less than 48 hours before course start (or after start) = Forfeits the full course fee paid and receives no refund.
- Notice given by student with six (6) or less days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less a 50% cancellation fee.
- Notice given by student with seven (7) or more days before course start = Receives a refund to the original method paid less an administration fee of $10.
In instances where Thread Den must cancel a class, enrolled participants will be notified 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled class and receive a full refund to the original payment method.
There are no refunds due to change of mind.
- If you miss the second or subsequent sessions of course, you will not be reimbursed for that session. You are encouraged to come in and use the Open Studio hours, or book a private lesson to catch up. Click here to enquire about a private lesson.
- Transfers of your course or workshop booking to a friend or family are fine.
- We require full payment to be made at the time of booking to secure your place. Payment can be made conveniently online with credit card, or at the studio in cash, EFT or credit card. Unfortunately, we can't tentatively hold or pencil in places without payment.