We have developed a course that will explain all the elements of crochet. You'll get a great complete guide to terminology, tools, yarn weights and types, how to hold your hands, reading patterns, making swatches to check your tension/gauge and of course creating all the basic crochet stitches.
Crochet is a language of its own, but a language that also differs from the UK to the US. In an eternal battle between metric and imperial, singles vs doubles (and we don't mean tennis), letters vs sizes, weight vs ply... it is enough to leave you curled in the corner of the yarn department rocking back and forth. But we are here to demystify this crazy confusion and leave you with an addiction to crochet!
Over the three weekly workshops, you will also receive extensive class notes that will provide you with a reference tool that you can come back to time and time again.
What you'll be making:
- Workshop 1: While demystifying the language of crochet, you'll make a chain stitch necklace/scarf
- Workshop 2: A fruity pot holder. Show off your new skills in the kitchen!
- Workshop 3: A tri-coloured scarf
Start learning now; read about crochet hook sizing - click here.
What you will learn
- Learn all the basic crochet stitches, work in rows and rounds, change colours
- How to decipher UK & US terminology, read patterns
- All about yarn types, the variety of hooks, tension/gauge and working swatches... and much, much more
What you will get
- Detailed class notes that will arm you with an extensive reference tool as well as the patterns and instructions to make all your items
- A workshop teacher and a host for workshop groups with 4 or more participants
- Step-by-step instructions, demonstrations and the opportunity to ask questions
What to bring
- Week 1: 9mm hook & a ball of chunky wool yarn
- Week 2: 6mm hook & two 50gm balls of 10 ply cotton/wool yarn in fruity colours
- Week 3: 4.5mm hook & three balls of 8 ply wool yarn each a different colour
What to wear
This is perfect for an absolute crochet beginner
Hook & Yarn Tips:
Hooks with rubber handles are more comfortable. Avoid black yarn, it's harder to see stitches. Wool is a great choice for its stretch.
Learn to sew, craft and create with Thread Den. Workshops offered face-to-face and online.
Located on Melbourne's vibrant Brunswick Street, in Fitzroy. At Thread Den you can start at the very beginning, take your skills to the next level, and find your own unique style.
Thread Den has developed a teaching model that is supportive and nurturing, designed to make each student feel like the focus of our attention, whether you learn with us face-to-face or online.
At Thread Den it's just like a friend (a super nice clever one) teaching you and a few friends to sew, craft and create. When you come in; take advantage of having all the equipment on hand, lovely big cutting tables, smooth running Janomes with plenty of feet accessories, inspiring resources, and friendly people to chat to.
Your teachers have years of experience, their own labels and businesses, and the desire to share their skills and craftsmanship with you.
Want to receive our lovely emails? You should join our mailing list. Click here to sign-up.
See Terms & Conditions.
Terms & Conditions
Taking part in a workshop at Thread Den is fun and we love teaching people our craft, but here we have to get serious for a moment:
It is your responsibility to clear your diary for the booking you've made - especially if there are multiple sessions in your course. If you want to finish your project(s), you need to attend all workshops. You'll also need to arrive on time. We can't start again because it just isn't fair to your fellow participants.
Allow us this indulgence for a second, our workshops and courses - they are usually sold out weeks in advance. It isn't a quick switch to pop you into another workshop. If we have an appropriate session where you can attend to keep going, we will try to offer you a discounted space. If that isn't possible, you will need to book a private lesson to stay on track (the minimum cost is NM -$144 or M -$119.52).
We also won't follow you up to check that you are coming along to class and/or that you have the right supplies for your class. Almost every workshop will require you to bring along your supplies, for some workshops we sell a supplies kit at an additional cost - but not for all. If you are unsure about what you need, just shoot us an email - firstname.lastname@example.org . We also want you to learn and love what you make as much as possible, please carefully consider the fabrics we recommend that you use. If you choose a fabric that is suited to a more advanced level you aren't going to enjoy your experience.
We've tried to answer any questions you could have in the workshop description, but again, don't hesitate to email us for any further details or with any queries. We loooove to see that fabric you are thinking of using and sending you off to some of our favourite fabric and habby suppliers.
Thanks for sticking with us and reading through these annoying details. Here's the stuff that is often hidden behind an *asterisk* or in teeeeenie little print:
- All refunds are subject to a 25% administration fee.
- Refunds will only be processed back to the original method of payment.
- Refunds are processed as soon as practicable. While Thread Den’s part of the process should be undertaken within three days of notice, the combination of the bookings platform and your banking institution’s processes will also influence the exact amount of time taken for you to receive the refund.
Transferring Your Booking
- If you wish to transfer your booking to another workshop we require at least four days notice prior to the start date of your original workshop/course booking.
- Bookings without date changes can be transferred to another person without incurring any penalties.
- Changes to your workshop or the commencement date (within all other terms listed here) will incur a $10 administration fee.
- Changes to your booking date will not reset the four day notice period.
- If you feel unwell, do not attend your workshop. With the supply of a medical certificate or COVID-19 testing referral covering the date of your workshop, you will be able to transfer your booking without incurring any penalties.
- Your safety is our priority, we reserve the right to make decisions if necessary to preserve the safety of all.
- In the event of a medical emergency, we may have to seek ambulance services on your behalf and at your expense.
- Classes are subject to sufficient enrolment numbers (usually this is 3 participants).
- We reserve the right to cancel any scheduled course. In the event of a cancellation, students will be notified two days before the scheduled start date and refunds will be provided.
This policy can be viewed on our website - https://threadden.com/about/bookings-and-cancellations-policy/