Landscape - Principles of Light and Colour
Learn to paint with oils and discover the versatility and attraction of painting with a more traditional medium. Oils make a good choice for a beginner as they dry slowly allowing you to sculpt with the paint and move the image around on the canvas.
Throughout the year we will run different themes, exploring Oil painting from foundations, to painting like the Old masters, looking at abstraction, painting the nude, portraits and more. All the courses are 5 weeks and suited to beginners and each new theme helps to build your art technique and allow you to continue practising throughout the year.
These courses will teach you the fundamentals of painting, building layers and working with mediums. Working with creative still life props or life models. these courses are both fun and informative, you will be encouraged to develop your own style and gain confidence in experimenting with the medium further.
Painting landscape is a great way to see the effects of natural light and colour. Learn to capture this quickly in oil and evolve quick sketches into developed works.
About The Teacher - Jessica Ashton
Jessica Ashton paints across all genres, seeking to reveal the drama and beauty of light and colour found in the everyday subject. Jessica studied drawing and painting extensively at the Julian Ashton Art School on the Sir William Dobell Scholarship for fine draughtsmanship. Since graduating Jessica has been passionate about teaching good drawing skills. She has exhibited in many group shows, has been a finalist in the prestigious Alice Bale Scholarship and her paintings are part of both private and public collections. http://dickersongallery.com.au/artist/170
- #4 Bright Neef Stiff Synthetic Bristle
- Synthetic Bristle Flat #2, #8, #12
- OIL PAINT: Alizarin Crimson Daler Rowney, Art Spectrum, Ultramarine Blue, Spectrum Yellow, Spectrum Red, Titanium White No.2 thick, Raw Umber
- 1 tube Global Raw Umber Acrylic
- Metal palette knife
- 1 x Flat wooden palette
- 1 x small bottle of linseed oil
- 2 x un-stretched piece of primed canvas ( given out in class )
- 1 x 2B pencil
- Kit is discounted 20% on RRP. Oil paint prices are nett in kit and in store.
- List current as of May 2017, prices subject to change.
- Items sold separately attract a 10% student discount off regular prices for the duration of your course.
- Free Hessian AOK Studios Bag with kit purchase.
5-week term class Duration: 2.5 Hours
- Painting landscape is a great way to discover the effects of natural light and colour.
- Learn to capture light and colour quickly in oil and evolve quick sketches into developed works.
- Learn how to mix colours from a basic primary palette, and discover the colours that work best in landscape painting
- Small class size to ensure individual attention
- Tuition under an expert art teacher
- Art Kit available at a discounted price - Free Hessian AOK Studios Bag with kit purchase
- 10% student discount off all regular priced Art and Craft supplies at Art On King for the duration of your course,
- Biscuits, Tea and Coffee
- See equipment list.
Please wear clothes that you don’t mind getting paint on!
Absolute beginners are welcome.
Terms for Enrolment
Attendance: Art On King Studios is not responsible for changes in your personal circumstances. We cannot facilitate make up classes. Your tutor is happy to advise you on work missed and offer homework exercises.
Transfers: Should your circumstances change and you give 7 days notice before the commencment of your course we can facilitate a course transfer to the following term. Transfers will be extended to a maximum of 2 terms. If you provide less than 7 days notice we can only provide a transfer should your course retain a minimum of 6 students to run. Administration fee of $20 applies to transfers with less than 7 days notice. In the case of prolonged illness or unforeseen circumstances we will do our best to accommodate a transfer to the next term but cannot guarantee a place.
Refund Policy: We do not give cash refunds. You must give 7 days notice in the event that you cannot attend a course you have enrolled in. An administration fee of $20 will be charged and you will receive the balance of course fees as a credit , which can be used in the store or towards another course. Any Art Kits or materials purchased for your course can be returned for credit if in a saleable, unused condition.
Cancellations: All classes need a minimum of 6 students to proceed. Should your course fail to meet minimum, we may either postpone the start date for 1 or 2 weeks or cancel the course. You will be informed at least 24 prior to start date. Your course fees will be refunded in full, or you may choose to transfer to another course. Should the new start date not suit your schedule you will also qualify for a full refund.
Discounts: Enrolled students receive 10% discount off all regular priced art materials from Art On King, for the duration of the course only. Art kits are discounted by 20%.
Fees: Are payable in advance and are for tuition only. You are not guaranteed a place in a course until all fees are paid in full. GST is included in course price.
Promotions: We run various promotions throughout the year. These discounts are valid only if your course runs and are not transferrable to another term. Any Gift vouchers offered are handed out on the first night of your class, and are not valid should your course be cancelled.
Gift Vouchers: Purchased course gift vouchers are valid for any courses we run and are transferrable to another person or for store credit if you choose not to take a course. Sorry no cash refunds are issued.