Expert and experienced tuition:
Graham Hay has taught these classes since 1998.
Only one or two new students join each class group at a time.
This is to ensures they receive greater support and encouragement from the teacher (and other students) compared to a large class of just beginners.
All teaching will be customised to suit your personal background and preferences, so you can learn and make what interests you, at your own pace.
See below a very short video of beginners and long term students.
As an incentive to improve, for over 14 years I have recorded good and bad reviews of my 200+ workshops here.
Or find other reviews via Googling: reviews "Perth Pottery and Sculpture Classes" will give you some idea of your likely experience and my teaching.
To ensure you are absolutely happy, I urge new students to buy and attend their first lesson, before buying more lessons.
Small, highly individual classes:
The classes are small, with a weekly average of 6 students per class.
No more than two new students start each week in each class, so they and the regular students receive plenty of individual assistance.
This also means that you, regardless of your level of experience, are looked after and made most welcome.
You will receive timely instruction and advise whenever you require it.
Incremental expert advise means you can work at your own pace.
Because of this individual expert instruction, all students may pause and resume their attendance on any week (subject to space in the class) for any reason (health, work, family, holiday, travel etc) without penalty.
This means attending students are healthy, happy and a relaxed atmosphere.
This also creates socially dynamic classes, with students appearing, disappearing and then re-appearing week by week.
As no two students make the same work, you can also learn also from fellow students, and the other studio artists.Based upon your individual preferences, confidence, prior skills and knowledge, Graham introduces simple steps for you to create your work.
Many students comment on how they enjoy the classes being held within an open plan studio with friendly professional artists working around them.
The relaxed, professional environment is enhanced by the light filled, high ceiling studio, within a beautiful inner-city park.
Try before you buy more lessons:
Pre-pay for the first lesson only.
Then decide during the first lesson if you wish to continue with further lessons.
If you purchase further lessons during your first lesson you receive an immediate $127 discount on any bundle of lessons in the table below.For example: The 12 lessons fee is $888 - $127 paid = $761 outstanding, with 11 lessons remaining, i.e. a $53 savings on your first lesson)
This initial discount only applies if further lessons are purchased during the first lesson.
To ensure new students receive plenty of expert assistance, while recognising that long term students contribute to the studio and classes in many ways.
To enable students to purchase a variety of bundles of lessons, to suit their personal circumstances.
Once enrolled and prepaid lessons, you may pause and resume your attendance at any time (due to health, holidays, travel, work, family etc), without penalty, and change classes, provided you text or email date changes before the lesson (to avoid the Penalty, always include a return date), and there is space in the class.
New students are urged to read first "Try before you buy" (just above).
2018 Bulk Discount Fees
lesson total (average $
number cost /class)
1 127 127
6 564 94
8 696 87
10 790 79
12 888 74 <<<example above
15 1,050 70
18 1,116 62
21 1,187 57
25 1,325 53
30 1,442 48
35 1,592 46
EFTPOS and all major credit classes accepted.
Lessons bought in one year can be used in future years.
2017 Class Day and Times:
Wednesday: 12 noon - 2.30pm
Wednesday: 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Friday: 9:30 am - 12 noon
Saturday: 1pm - 3:30pm
(Confirm here, that any class is running)
A Creative Space.
The classes (est 1998) are held in the Robertson Park Artists Studio in the southern half of Robertson Park, Perth, Western Australia.
The studio is a spacious, light-filled space, leased from the City of Vincent by a group of professional artists. Annual Studio Newsletter.
- How to select and develop an idea and process, suitable to your own confidence and skill.
- To progressively master both traditional and contemporary clay techniques .
- How to make your work, by simple, short, incremental steps, at your own pace .
- Try before you buy: pay only for the first class. Decide at that class how many lessons you want (generous discounts).
- Greater creativity and a more relaxed, balanced perspective on life.
- You start classes when you are ready, and pause and resume when it suits you, without penalty (just let us know).
- New, and increased; knowledge, skill and confidence with clay.
- You receive your own free 10 kg bag of soft clay, and use of studio tools and equipment.
- Free parking, tea and real coffee.
- Welcomed into a supportive community of similar, like minded students and artists.
3 hour Free Parking
at Robertson Park Tennis Club carpark,
either side on Fitzgerald Street.
(Wed. night class: note: clearway until 6pm on east side, then free)
- Bring any drawings, pictures you might have (optional).
An old shirt or comfortable clothes, as you may get messy. Covered shoes are necessary as this is a working studio.
Absolute beginners and experienced (enabled due to small classes)
Vendor since 2013
Graham has taught ceramics since 1992.
He is nationally and internationally recognised as an expert in both ceramic art and also ceramic education.
Graham specialised in ceramics at high school and Teachers College, and holds separate degrees from Edith Cowan, and Curtin (hons) universities, were he majored in ceramics and sculpture.
His work has appeared in 150 exhibitions in ten countries, and is in public collections in six countries.
Graham has taught over 200 workshops in 12 countries, and co-lead Hungarian and US international ceramics conferences and symposiums (see www.grahamhay.com.au/workshops.html).
Authored 25 articles in ceramic journals in six countries.
Graham is very experienced teaching at absolutely beginners, intermediate and expert levels.
Frequently teaches in schools, tertiary institutions, groups of beginners, professional artists and educators (website).
Focuses on assisiting all students master techniques, gain confidence, relax completely, and produce amazing work.
Generous by nature, he shares over 200 pages of information on http://www.grahamhay.com.au. Visit it and be inspired.
Read online reviews going back to 2009. Just cut and paste
then Google it.
Graham is committed to excellence in ceramics education. So, since 1993 he has been recording all positive, and negative, student evaluation sheet comments verbatim from all workshops at http://www.grahamhay.com.au/comments.html
He regularly travels globally to share with and learn from fellow ceramic expert teachers.
common sense refund policy
Credits are transferable between students and others, but not generally refundable (but this does not diminish your statutory rights).
1. Courtesy Saves: If you can't attend any class, your lesson credit is only protected (ie "rolled over") if you email or text me before the lesson, AND provide a specific "date of return to class".
The quickest and easiest way is by using the reschedule link in class confirmation or reminder emails.
This information is essential to prevent too large or too small classes.
I will confirm receipt of you text or email, and that your place in the class reserved.
If you do not provide a return date, or do not attend the lesson, your balance will decline each week. When your balance reached zero, your shelve will be cleared (to make space for new students) and all clay recycled.
If you let me know via email/text, lessons can be rolled over for up to 2 years.
2. Similarly, if you are returning to classes after a prolonged absence, please contact me well before to ensure a place is reserved for you.
3. You can change which day and time you attend classes, and even attend more than one lesson per week, provided you have first discussed it with me, and there is space in the class. If you are using the automatic system, you'll see live online were the gaps are and can immediately reschedule.
4. If you are likely to be away for more than two months, you will be asked to temporarily take your clay and creations home (so to make space for new students, and to encourage you to keep making at home). Upon your return a space will be again made available for you.
5. Want more flexibility? Just ask.