Indonesian Cooking Class
(+4 more dates)
Deliciously fun, interactive and suitable for everyone. Take home a taste of Bali Cooking plus a few secret local recipes. Sampling the local culinary delights is a highlight pre-trip to Bali or revisit Bali Cooking with post-visit cooking experience. Otao Kitchen gives food lovers of all ages and experience levels the hands-on opportunity to discover secret Balinese Cooking techniques using locally sourced ingredients in Melbourne.
Whether an individual indulgence, a couples’ bonding experience, fun family activity, corporate team building or private group cooking, this class is guaranteed to treat your taste buds while expanding your culinary skills. What better way to experience a culture than through its food. Tantalize your taste buds as you take a trip through Bali, finding culinary inspiration in the rich history, vibrant culture and beautiful people.
- Hands-on Indonesian Bali cooking experience with expert cooking instructor
- Explore fundamentals of cooking ingredients, spices and flavour profile
- Create delicious dishes then enjoy with complimentary beer and wine
- Listen to cooking tips and tricks and recreate the dishes at home with online recipes
- Brilliant with weekly classes, purchase gift vouchers with 3 years valid
- Refreshment drinks throughout the Indonesian Bali class
- Use of all cooking equipment and utensils, including an apron
- The freshest quality food and ingredients provided
- A delicious meal celebrated and enjoyed together, toasted with sparkling wine or beer
- Online recipes from your class so you can recreate them at home
- Bumbu Merah- Fragrant Spice Paste
- Kecap Kachang- Peanut Sauce with Sweet Soy Sauce
- Ayam Satay- Grilled Turmeric Chicken Skewers
- Rendang Daging Sedap- Beef Stewed with Toasted Coconut
- Gado Gado- Steamed Vegetables with Sweet Soy Peanut Sauce
- Nasi Kuning- Turmeric Rice
ON THE DAY
- This hands-on Indonesian Balinese cooking class experience 2.5 hours
- Enjoy a complimentary refresher drink on arrival
- Demonstration of the Indian cooking class recipes by your Chef
- Chopping, rolling, folding and preparing your dishes - all hands-on
- Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of sparkling wine
- Our Indonesian cooking classes are a perfect solution for your Christmas Party, Birthday party, Anniversary, Hens Party, Bucks Party, Team Building Cooking, Work lunch and dinner or Corporate event. We can cater to different dietary requirements - please let us know by email.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule a booking you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You must do this at least 7 days before your class to cancel or reschedule. We are sorry that we cannot refund or rebook any cancellations made online or in-person after this time.
- In the event that you are unwell, we ask that you send someone in your place. The participants who are not unwell will still be expected to attend. Alternatively, if you provide notice prior to the class, you are welcome to collect the ingredients and online recipe to take home with you after the class. Please note that this may not be possible as fresh meats and seafood in all cases and you should call 0408 217 899 to check with the chef team. This cannot be organized via email.
- Lateness: please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the class. We cannot accommodate or refund for those who arrive after the scheduled start time, even if you call ahead. The instructor will be expected to start on time and will not be able to repeat the health and safety and/or demonstrations at the beginning of the class.
What you will learn
- Hands-on Indonesian Bali cooking experience with expert cooking instructor Explore fundamentals of cooking ingredients, spices and flavour profile Create delicious dishes then enjoy with complimentary beer and wine Listen to cooking tips and tricks and recreate the dishes at home with online recipes Brilliant with weekly classes, purchase gift vouchers with 3 years valid
What you will get
- Refreshment drinks throughout the Indonesian Bali class Use of all cooking equipment and utensils, including an apron The freshest quality food and ingredients provided A delicious meal celebrated and enjoyed together, toasted with sparkling wine or beer Online recipes from your class so you can recreate them at home
Otao Kitchen is located at 393 Victoria Street, Abbotsford, 3067 Victoria, Australia
We encourage you to travel on public transport. Please check with Public Transport Victoria (www.ptv.vic.gov.au or 1800 800 007) for train and tram timetables. Otao kitchen is accessible via train to North Richmond Station and/or tram; route 109 (Box Hill to Port Melbourne) and route 12 (St Kilda to Victoria Gardens) go along Victoria Street – you should disembark at stop 22. Route 78 (Prahran to Richmond) stops at the corner of Church and Victoria Streets and is only one block from Otao kitchen.
There is plenty of street parking available during the day on Victoria and surrounding streets, but most have a 1-2 hour parking limit. Sunday is free from 12pm. Please check the sign. Parking can also be limited depending on the day and time, so plan carefully. Alternatively, you can park your vehicle in Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre where 2 hours and more parking is available at reasonable rates. Otao Kitchen is just a short 5 minute walk from the Shopping Centre.
Bicycles can be stored and locked securely at the front of Otao kitchen’s property. If you need to park the bike in the back, please enter via the Victoria Street main entrance and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your class so the bicycle can be stored without interruption to the class.
What to bring
What to wear
Adults 18-100, All skill levels
Otao Kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao Kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
Otao Kitchen Cooking School has an average rating of 5.0 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 7 days notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email email@example.com to organise accordingly. Early-bird tickets can be rescheduled by paying the general ticket price difference.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your behalf. No-shows incur 50% of the ticket value should rebooking be requested.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS & RESCHEDULE
Otao Kitchen requires 7 days notice in writing or with a call prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit. You may be able to reschedule 7 days before at no cost. Changes done within 7 days prior to the class may incur an admin fee of $59.
In the event that a class is canceled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.