Going Native Australian Cooking Class
Native ingredients or bush food is something that you will be searching while traveling in Australia. Get to know the best Australian native produce and learn how to cook them in this great Otao kitchen cooking experience class. The class would appeal to most age groups, skill levels, and tastes. You will learn the native ingredients by gathering around the kitchen table and sharing this unique cooking and dining experience. These ingredients were grown sustainably, with knowledge handed down from generation to generation through songs, stories and beliefs. Get close to the chef and speak about the preparation and health benefit property of each ingredient. Discover ties with customs and traditions. Watch then cook with the delicious ingredients like Quandong berries, Mountain Pepper, Davidson Plum, Wattleseed or Kakadu Plum... comes together in front of you and sample what you see throughout the course of this amazing two and half hour experience.
- Embracing local and sustainable bush food
- Learn the health benefit of Australian Native Foods
- Learn the methods are used in bush foods
- Make 3 course menu using the local and native ingredients
- Enjoy a social cooking experience
- Explore Native Herbs and Spices
ON THE DAY
- This hands-on finger food making experience lasts for two and half hours
- Enjoy a complimentary refresher drink on arrival
- Demonstration and learn how to prepare favorite Australia produce
- Cook and plate up your dishes
- Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of locally made wine or beer
- Finger Lime and Gin Cocktail
- Spiced Kangaroo Pear and Pepper Salsa
- Beef and Mountain Pepper Dumplings
- Native thyme Barramundi steamed in banana leaf, Sticky Rice and Cassava
- Kakadu Plum and Peanut Butter Fudge
- Bush Foods Cooking is a perfect cooking class for your Christmas Party, Birthday party, Anniversary, Hens Party, Bucks Party, Team Building Cooking, Work lunch and dinner or Corporate event. Speak to us so we can work out whether your venue is suitable. Travel costs and charges may apply.
- We can cater to different dietary requirements - please let us know by email email@example.com
- If you need to cancel or reschedule a booking you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You must do this at least 7 days before your class to cancel or reschedule. We are sorry that we cannot refund or rebook any cancellations made online or in-person after this time.
- In the event that you are unwell, we ask that you send someone in your place. The participants who are not unwell will still be expected to attend. Alternatively, if you provide notice prior to the class, you are welcome to collect the ingredients and online recipe to take home with you after the class. Please note that this may not be possible as fresh meats and seafood in all cases and you should call 0408 217 899 to check with the chef team. This cannot be organized via email.
- Lateness: please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the class. We cannot accommodate or refund for those who arrive after the scheduled start time, even if you call ahead. The instructor will be expected to start on time and will not be able to repeat the health and safety and/or demonstrations at the beginning of the class.
What you will learn
- Embracing local and sustainable bush food Learn the health benefit of Australian Native Foods Learn the methods are used in bush foods Make 3 course menu using the local and native ingredients Enjoy a social cooking experience Explore Native Herbs and Spices
What you will get
- his hands-on finger food making experience lasts for two and half hours Enjoy a complimentary refresher drink on arrival Demonstration and learn how to prepare favorite Australia produce Cook and plate up your dishes Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of locally made wine or beer
Otao Kitchen is located at 393 Victoria Street, Abbotsford, 3067 Victoria, Australia
We encourage you to travel on public transport. Please check with Public Transport Victoria (www.ptv.vic.gov.au or 1800 800 007) for train and tram timetables. Otao kitchen is accessible via train to North Richmond Station and/or tram; route 109 (Box Hill to Port Melbourne) and route 12 (St Kilda to Victoria Gardens) go along Victoria Street – you should disembark at stop 22. Route 78 (Prahran to Richmond) stops at the corner of Church and Victoria Streets and is only one block from Otao kitchen.
There is plenty of street parking available during the day on Victoria and surrounding streets, but most have a 1-2 hour parking limit. Sunday is free from 12pm. Please check the sign. Parking can also be limited depending on the day and time, so plan carefully. Alternatively, you can park your vehicle in Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre where 2 hours and more parking is available at reasonable rates. Otao Kitchen is just a short 5 minute walk from the Shopping Centre.
Bicycles can be stored and locked securely at the front of Otao kitchen’s property. If you need to park the bike in the back, please enter via the Victoria Street main entrance and arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your class so the bicycle can be stored without interruption to the class.
What to bring
What to wear
Adults 18-100, All skill levels
Otao Kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao Kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
Otao Kitchen Cooking School has an average rating of 4.9 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS & RESCHEDULE
Otao Kitchen requires 7 days notice in writing or with a call prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit. You may be able to reschedule 7 days before at no cost. Changes done within 7 days prior to the class may incur an admin fee of $59.
In the event that a class is canceled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.