Online Dumpling Making with Ingredients Kit
(+4 more dates)(Private Dates Available)
DUMPLING MAKING ONLINE
Love dumplings and eager to make them at home? Join us in this dumpling making online class, where we’ll learn the ins and outs of Chinese dumplings, receive a kit with all the ingredients needed to make these gems at home. Chinese dumplings are basically edible treasure chests. What do we mean by that? Well, it can feel like you've hit the jackpot when you take a bite of a perfectly plump dumpling. The best dumplings are made up of thin dough shell that encases an ambrosial mixture of seasoned meat and chopped veggies. You’ll unlock the secrets behind making traditional Chinese dumplings. Mastering the perfect folds and gaining all the necessary techniques and tips before grabbing a pair of chopsticks and feasting on your creations. The perfect way to start lunch!
- Learn how to craft restaurant-quality dumplings at home
- Learn to make the dough and filling from scratch
- Learn useful tips and tricks from a certified chef instructor.
- A fun and social online atmosphere
- Adaptable for various dietary restrictions- just let us know!
THE DUMPLING INGREDIENTS KIT DELIVERED*
- QR code linked to the recipes and an online instructional video
- Dumpling Flour Blend
- House-made Shoyu Tare- Soy Sauce Seasoning
- House-made Spring Onion Oil
- House-made Chilli Oil
- Mixed Dried Mushrooms, tofu dry skin and Vermicelli Noodles
- Water Chestnuts
- An Authentic Dumpling Rolling Pin
- Delivery included within Australia
- Optional beverage kits can be added
* In the event of package delivery delays for ingredient kits, it is advised that you refer to the recipes sent and obtain ingredients so you are prepared for the class. Otao make every effort to have the package-ingredient kit to you 48 hours prior to the class start time and depend on the service of Australia Post. We are not liable for late or non-delivery.
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Sturdy sauté pans with lid (for pan-frying) or a large pot with a steamer setup (for steaming)
- Small mixing bowls
- A spatula, tongs, and measuring spoons
- A digital scale
- Cling wrap
SPECIAL DIETARY NOTES
- Meat eater - the kit will make vegetarian dumplings. You can replace 1/2 quantity with meats such as chicken, pork or prawn.
- Gluten-free - you can opt to have GF soy. Replace wheat flour for supermarket 160g self-raising gluten-free flour for dough + 75ml hot water. Mix well. May need to adjust the water/flour
- Dairy-free - the recipes doesn't include dairy.
- Low sodium. Use less soy sauce.
- Kosher. These are vegan dumplings
- Halal- Purchase your own halal meat.
- No nuts. We don't include any nuts in our meals.
ON THE DAY
- This online Zoom class lasts for 1-2 hours you will need a device with internet connection
- Meet our chef and follow along with a live cooking demonstration, from your kitchen
- Debrief with a chance to enjoy your creations and chat.
- Learn how to steam or pan-fry your dumplings
- In rare situations, we may have to restart the online class.
WHAT TO WEAR?
- We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
CAN MY CHILDREN JOIN?
- Children who are attending online cooking classes must be participating with a parent or guardian.
- Because of the difficulty of the course material, we recommend this program for children 10 years old or older.
CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGE FOR DATES
- This is online class so you will get access to the class as soon as you sign up - we will send you recipes, videos and Zoom details. No cancellation but you can change the date.
- If you miss the webinar session you can catch up on our Facebook page or zoom videos.
- If you buy the voucher from the 3rd party you will be bounced by the terms which we don't have the control over their business practices.
What you will learn
- You’ll go away with full knowledge on how to make dumpling from the scratch
- Learn to make the dough, make the fillings and fold your favourite dumpling shapes
- Enjoy a fun cooking, eating and virtual cooking experience
What you will get
- This online Zoom class lasts for 1 to 2 hours
- Tips and tricks on master the dumplings at home.
- Recipes and shopping notes
What to bring
- We recommend for you to measure and put all the ingredients on a dish/tray to be ready to cook. This way you can enjoy yourself while connecting to others. If you tell us about your dietary requirement, we can suggest some substitute ideas. We will do our best to help you to cook the dishes on the menu. We might be able to organise an ingredient pack for you and your guests for an extra cost if you are within 5km from Richmond, Melbourne. DOUGH: 160g bread flour + 80g boiling water FILLINGS: 180g pork mince + 1 leaf of wombok (Chinese cabbage), chopped finely (can use 1 cup chopped cabbage + 1 baby king oyster mushroom, minced or button mushroom + 1 spring onion, minced + 1 clove of garlic, minced + 1 clove of ginger, minced SEASONING: 2 tsp soy sauce + 1 tsp Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) + 1 tsp vegetable oil + ¼ tsp sesame oil + ¼ tsp salt + ¼ tsp sugar DIPPING SAUCE: 1 tbsp soy + 1 tbsp black vinegar or just any vinegar + few drops of chilli oil Oil to spray for the steamers
What to wear
We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
From 10+ years old
Otao Kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao Kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
Otao Kitchen Cooking School has an average rating of 4.9 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS & RESCHEDULE
Otao Kitchen requires 7 days notice in writing or with a call prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit. You may be able to reschedule 7 days before at no cost. Changes done within 7 days prior to the class may incur an admin fee of $59.
In the event that a class is canceled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.