Winter Warmer - Vessels - Long Weekend
Master the flame and finesse your skills this June at SquarePeg Studios. Are you keen to improve your soldering skills and learn new techniques? Our three day Winter Jewellery Making Intensive is a concentrated and inspiring learning environment with our most experienced and fabulous tutor Diane Appleby.
This spring Diane will guide you in applying and developing your existing jewellery making skills and introduce you to new techniques in the creation of a unique vessel which can be worn or displayed as an object - maybe both!
You will love learning new techniques and mastering the torch in our beautiful warehouse workshop.
SquarePeg Studios will be the place to be this June long weekend - so fire up your jewellery making skills, improve your soldering techniques and learn lots of useful tips and tricks as you develop control and confidence under the expert tuition of Diane Appleby.
MEET YOUR TUTOR
Diane Appleby completed her Master of Art in Gold and Silversmithing at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology in 2003. She has taught in the Jewellery and Object Design Department, Sydney Institute of Technology, Design Centre Enmore, and at the College of Fine Art, University of NSW. Diane’s catalogue of work encompasses collections for exhibition and collaborations with clients on individual pieces. “My jewellery is designed to not only catch the eye, but to also feel delightful to wear. I like to play with colour, form and texture. I choose materials for their unique character, such as stones for their luminosity, metals to encapsulate strength, and silks for their sheen and rippling texture. I enjoy creating pieces with a precious presence. “At the heart of every design is an inspiration, whether I am creating a collection for an exhibition or working with a client to create a uniquely personal piece. I find the satisfaction of bringing a concept to life from a few simple sketches to a finished form extremely exciting.”
What you will learn
- Students will make a ring with multiple solder joins using sweat soldering, butt joins and T joins.
- The processes of Keum-boo, lamination inlay and overlay
- Tips, tricks as well as the theory behind soldering like a pro
What you will get
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- Bring your projects and questions to learn tips and tricks!
What to wear
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately.
For those with previous soldering experience at the Intermediate level
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.