Wax Carving for Jewels - Sculptural Stone Setting Workshop
In this four-day jewellery making workshop students will be introduced to carving waxes to make stone-set jewellery.
On days one and two students will have the opportunity to make a ring, pendant or earrings with a bezel setting in wax that will be professionally cast in time for the second week of the workshop. Making settings for rough-cut stones will also be explored during days one and two of the workshop.
On days three and four students will learn how to clean up their cast pieces, prepare them for setting, and how to set their stones. Students will also have the opportunity to solder onto their castings to attach claws or extra bezels, particularly if they are working with rough-cut stones.
This jewellery making workshop is designed to provide students who have attended the 'Carve Your own Silver Ring- Wax Workshop' at SquarePeg Studios with greater skills, enabling them to make a unique piece of stone set jewellery - created by their own hand!
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Wax Carving for Jewels - Sculptural Stone Setting Workshop is an intensive four-day jewellery making course during which students will learn about the process of making waxes for stone settings. Students will make a wax for a bezel-set ring, pendant or earrings (or another piece after discussion with the tutor). Students will be guided through technical as well as experimental techniques.
Best of all, the course allows plenty of time for experimentation. Our aim is to provide you with the skills and techniques you need to continue to develop your practice at home.
Guided technical project:
Students will learn to how to measure, mark up and make a carved wax ring, pendant or pair of earrings incorporating a gemstone. Students will learn technical terms, tools used and what they do, they will gain a good base understanding of the tools and materials needed to continue working with wax alongside how to set stones. The techniques learned here are ones that can be used at home to make wax models for jewellery..
What you will make:
We take the waxes to our professional cast house to be cast and you can choose from a variety of metals for your work to be made in (eg sterling silver).
The cost of your piece depends on its weight and the cost of the metal you choose on the day it is cast.
Students usually spend between $30 and $70 on casting, but this is dependent on how weighty the design is, and what metal is selected.
What is included:
All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax ring, pendant or earring design
One semi-precious cabochon cut stone
The use of all tools and consumables
A selection of teas, coffee and delish biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
We take your wax rings to be cast in time for the second set of classes
We weigh your pieces and let you know an approximate price for each piece. This is calculated reliant on the cost of the metal selected for the casting of your piece
What you need to bring:
Students may wish to bring their own stones for discussion or use in their project TAKE NOTE! - no fragile stones such as opals can be used. If in doubt of the suitability of the stone you wish to incorporate in your design, please get in touch with us at SquarePeg Studios for clarification.
A notebook and pen/pencil
Cash for the cost of the casting of your work - payable on the second weekend of the course (usually $20 – $70 per piece dependent on the metal selected and weight of the work)
Your ideas and creativity!
- Students will be introduced to a variety of wax working techniques, including carving and mouldable wax forming.
- On day one, students will have the opportunity to experiment with different types of wax and make two wax rings that will be cast by a commercial caster.
- On day two, students will clean up the castings and also learn additional tips and tricks for making wax models.
- All wax materials for experimentation and for the wax rings
- The use of all tools and consumables
- Tea or coffee and delish biscuits for morning and afternoon tea
- We take your wax rings to be cast in time for the second class. We will weigh your rings and let you know an approximate price for each piece, depending on the metal selected
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- An apron
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- Cash for the casting (usually $20 – $70 per piece dependent on metal and weight)
All students must wear proper enclosed shoes, long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back. Our warehouse has a concrete floor and can be cold in winter (we have some heating!) and hot in summer so please dress appropriately.
Perfect for those with jewellery experience and those starting out on their jewellery making journey.
Vendor since 2016
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for our refund policy. If you have any questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The course fees must be paid in full or as a pay in instalments plan on enrolment and are non-refundable.
- In the event that a course is cancelled or oversubscribed, the course fees less the 4.5% non-refundable booking fee may be refunded, alternatively SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the full fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue.
- Our courses are open to students 16 years and older, Jewellery Studio Bench access is open to students 18 years and older.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits are issued for non attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Some of our courses require prior learning, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as at 1 May, 2020.
Subject to change as per Government directives.
- In the event a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next date on which the course or workshop is scheduled, and notify the student of the change in a timely manner.
- In the case that the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date, which can be applied for any course or workshop. The credit note will be valid for 3 years from the date of issue. No refunds will be permitted.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to latest Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors with regard to physical distancing, wearing of masks and appropriate hygiene measures whilst attending SquarePeg Studios.
- Students must not attend SquarePeg studios if they are unwell, have been in contact with a person that has tested positive to Covid-19 or returned from overseas within the past two weeks.