Vegan Asian Cooking Online
(Private Dates Available)
For this plant-based cooking workshop, we will be utilising recipes from a number of different Asian cultures, with a focus on cooking traditions created to support a plant-based diet. Whether from the Sattvic vitality increasing diet of India or Buddhist temple foods from Korean and Japan, we will be showing you both nutritious and tasty dishes from a variety of cultures that have been creating plant-based foods for centuries. Vegan food doesn’t have to be the drab, flavourless, meat imitating concoctions we are used to seeing in pop culture and the mainstream. Looking to cultures with a rich history in plant-based cooking, we have crafted this cooking class with a coexisting balance between taste and what is healthy for the body, mind and planet.
The course will run instructions through 20 recipes. We will discuss how to plan plant-based meals at home and the overriding philosophies, both nutritional and mindful, underpinning Asian traditions of vegan cooking. We will also be showing you how to organise you and stock your kitchen, to make crafting excellent plant-based meals an easy and enjoyable experience. This class is suitable for people who want to enhance their home cooking skills with new techniques or for professional or aspiring chefs who are looking to enhance their plant-based repertoire. Given the intensity of this course, it would be limited to a small number of guests per online session.
- Fundamental and traditional cooking skills used for the production of alternative proteins, including soy milk, tofu, and seitan.
- How to meal plan and create delicious and nutrient-dense plant-based meals
- How to shop for and source nutritional and ecologically friendly products
- How to eat and shop seasonally
- Techniques and skills for unlocking ingredients’ natural flavourful essence
- An enjoyable cooking, eating and social experience
- Intro into Asian vegan cuisines, the origins of Buddhist cooking.
- How to stock and shop for a plant-based lifestyle.
- Seasonings and flavours, building a pantry with delicious ingredients.
- Eating with the seasons
- Special cooking techniques
KOREAN - SACHAEL EUMSK
- *Saeng-Baechu-Doenjang-Guk - Soup with Bean Paste and Wombok
- *Oi-Baek-Kimchi- White Cucumber Kimchi
- *Danhobak-Bokkeum- Stir-Fried Kabocha Pumpkin and Broccolini
- * Mul-Naeng Myeon- Cold Buckwheat Noodles with Broth
JAPANESE - SHOUJIN RYORI
- *Hourensou Hakusai Maki - Spinach and Cabbage Rolls
- *Kenchin-Jiru- Root Vegetable, Miso Stew
- *Nasu-Miso Itame- Eggplant Stir-fried with Miso
INDIAN COOKING- SATTVIC
- *Kachumber- Cucumber and Sprout Salad
- *Palak Paneer- Spinach Curry with Tofu
- *Aloo Gobi - Potato-Cauliflower Curry
VIETNAMESE - AN CHAY
- *Nước chấm - Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce
- *Gỏi Cuốn- Rice Paper Rolls with Seasonal Vegetables
- *Phở Chay - Vegan Pho with Tofu and Mushroom Broth
HOW WE RUN THE COURSE
- Move at your own pace! Sign on to this course at any time, because we have created a full library of pre-recorded videos, class notes and recipes for you to start.
- We will showcase the complex dishes for you to cook along on Zoom 2-hour class. The online cooking session can complement with your learning. You can watch the class and/or cook along with us. Here you will connect with your chef, so you can ask any question from cooking related to recipe tricks and tips.
- If you sign up for 4 classes, you will be emailed a log in our online platform for 6 months. If you sign up for a single class, you will have 1-week access in our portal.
- So why not log on to the platform, see the recipes, watch the videos, pick up your ingredients and get a few pieces of equipment together so you can cook. Let us know if you have dietary and we may come up with some substitute for you.
What you will learn
- Learn fundamental kitchen and cooking skills
- Delicious and healthy meals made from scratch each day
- Enjoy the cooking experience in a small and intimate group setting
What you will get
- Enjoy a complimentary refreshment upon arrival
- Prepare and cook a varied menu, utilising a wide range of techniques along the way
- Finish the class by tasting all of your creations with a glass of sparkling wine or beer
What to bring
What to wear
Comfortable clothing and closed toe shoes
Beginner and Advance cooks
Otao Kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao Kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
Otao Kitchen Cooking School has an average rating of 4.9 for their other classes.See other reviews
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
You may cancel anytime before class starts and claim a full refund or transfer or credit note.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
3.) REFUNDS & RESCHEDULE
Otao Kitchen requires 7 days notice in writing or with a call prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit. You may be able to reschedule 7 days before at no cost. Changes done within 7 days prior to the class may incur an admin fee of $59.
In the event that a class is canceled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.