Rest in Pieces invites you to attend an introductory, hands-on workshop where you can explore the fascinating age-old practice of taxidermy.
Rest in Pieces taxidermist, Roshana Vander Wall, will share her knowledge of the dying arts so you can begin your journey into the art of taxidermy: taxis, meaning ‘arrangement’ and derma, meaning ‘skin’.
You don’t need to have any previous taxidermy experience to take part in this workshop. Roshana will teach you basic chick anatomy while guiding you through the correct process of skinning, preserving and mounting your specimen.
There are different techniques used for mounting mammals and birds in taxidermy. In this workshop, you will learn the traditional torso building technique of soft body wrapping to mount (recreate) the body of your baby chick. You will also learn how to preserve the chick’s feet with injections.
At the end of the workshop you will have created your own beautiful baby chick taxidermy from start to finish. To end the day, we will help you mount your baby chick in a glass dome, so you can display your gorgeous work with confidence.
Everything will be supplied on the day including your baby chick, tools, glass dome and base, an apron, lunch and a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages so that you can sit back, relax and enjoy the day. (Note, alcoholic beverages are only available for students 18+)
If you are feeling inspired and want to continue working on your new taxidermy skills once you get home? When you register for the workshop you can book a workshop ticket plus a kit.
Workshop + kit contains:
- A frozen baby chick to work on at home
- A complete set of the same tools and materials used in the workshop (excluding a glass dome and base)
- A set of instructions so you can follow the same process used in the workshop
We also have other merchandise available to complement your take home kit such as glass domes and RIP aprons.
To make life easier, you have the option to choose instalment billing at checkout. We recommend booking early so your payments are spread out.
- If you are flying in for the workshop and want a take home kit, you will need to have checked luggage as sharp items will not be accepted in hand-luggage.
- Make sure you notify us of any dietary requirements when you register.
- Unfortunately, our studio is not fully accessible for wheelchair users. Do you have other accessibility requirements? Please contact us before you register for any of our workshops to make sure we can make the necessary adjustments to give you a great experience.
What you will learn
- The anatomy of a baby chick
- How to skin, flesh and preserve your specimen
- How to display your baby chick in a glass dome
What you will get
- Your very own baby chick to work on and glass dome to mount it in at the end of the day
- All the tools required for your taxidermy experience
- Food and beverages
Entry via Marinea Lane. Parking in surrounding streets.
What to bring
- Camera or camera phone
- A cushion (optional) - we will be sitting down for long periods
What to wear
Dress in layers to suit a Warehouse climate
Anyone over the age of 16 with a curious mind and love of science, animals or art
Taxidermy - Taxis 'arrangement' + Derma 'skin'
Natalie Delaney-John has travelled far and wide to learn the art of taxidermy and has been mentored by some of the world's best and most awarded taxidermists. She is the proud founder of Rest in Pieces, which launched Australia's first taxidermy workshops, conducts talks, demonstrations and now sells DIY kits so that you can learn this beautiful art in the comfort of your own home.
Since 2016, the Rest in Pieces team has expanded further into the 'dying arts', offering new classes and workshops aimed at preserving and presenting natural specimens.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a credit note.
- A refund can be requested 14 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$50.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 14 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$10.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Rest in Pieces or organised by Rest in Pieces must agree to these terms and conditions:
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Rest in Pieces.
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Rest in Pieces unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Rest in Pieces classes and events or on Rest in Pieces' premises. (For use of Rest in Pieces marketing materials).
See refund section.
In the event that a class is cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit. Class cancellations may occur where necessary, for example where class bookings do not meet minimum numbers.
Students agree not to attend classes if they are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19 and/or if they have been advised to self-isolate in line with government restrictions.