All Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making Atelier
Learn jewellery making and become an accomplished artisan at our Jewellery Making Atelier. This is a unique opportunity to spend one day a week working with Melanie Ihnen, a skilled and caring educator who is also a talented jeweller with her own practice. She will assist you in creating unique pieces no matter what level you are at.
The Jewellery Making Atelier is an exciting course for students just starting their jewellery making adventure or those at an intermediate level or above. Offering a broad range of subjects and techniques, participants are encouraged to produce – through the process of design and making – jewellery pieces that are individual in design and well made.
Come and enjoy the camaraderie of making with like-minded people on a Thursday.
What makes SquarePeg Studios unique for learning jewellery making? Our jewellery school is also a workshop with 14 contemporary jewellers in residence so students have the opportunity to interact with professional makers and see the types of jewellery they are making.
Technical Skills Cover:
Subjects will be taught concurrently or per term as required, the concepts to be explored include shape, form and repetition
Basic jewellery skills such as sawing, filing, drilling, riveting and soldering
- Ring and bezel making
- Advanced soldering and metal forming
- Skills for making hollow forms and using the hydraulic press
- Other techniques depending on the student’s needs
Design Skills Cover:
The goal is to provide participants with appropriate knowledge and skills in order to
- Interpret design theory in a manner relevant for making jewellery
- Develop problem-solving skills in a creative and innovative manner in relation to jewellery design and making
- Perform metalworking techniques
- Give participants skills for creative expression
For more information visit https://squarepegstudios.com.au/school/jewellery-making-atelier-mixed-level-daytime-course/
What you will learn
- All the fundamentals of jewellery making
- Design theory in a manner relevant for making jewellery
- Problem solving skills in a creative and innovative manner in relation to jewellery design and making
What you will get
- New Students - Sterling Silver wire for first project, base metal sheet and wire
- All the consumables you need to make your projects (ie saw blades, emery paper and drill bits) as well as all the hand tools and equipment you need.
- Tea or coffee and yummy biscuits
What to bring
- A notebook and pen/pencil
- Covered shoes
- Your ideas and creativity
- We provide safety equipment and training on how to use all relevant equipment.
What to wear
We take safety very seriously at SquarePeg. All students must wear proper enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs), long pants or skirts and have long hair tied back.
Perfect for beginners and for those with jewellery making experience wishing to consolidate and build on their knowledge.
SquarePeg Studios is a Sydney jewellery studio and school, established in 2011, we occupy a 200sq metre warehouse space in Marrickville.
With studio spaces for 14 practising jewellers, a well-equipped workshop and busy jewellery school seeing around 50 students each week, SquarePeg Studios is a participatory community space created by and for the contemporary jewellery network of Sydney.
At SquarePeg Studios we have a passion for contemporary jewellery, we have excellent workshop facilities and a dedicated and talented team of tutors to help you learn everything you need to know to create your own jewellery designs in an inclusive and friendly environment.
Cancellations & Refunds
You are entitled to a full refund.
You’re welcome to send someone in your place.
- A refund can be requested 30 days before class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A transfer can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
- A credit note can be requested 21 days before the class starts. An admin fee of AU$30.00 applies.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy 1/8/22
SquarePeg Studios has provided jewellery tuition at the highest level since 2011. We bring professional jewellers and practising artists from near and far to provide our students with an excellent and diverse education in an inspiring and well-equipped learning environment.
The following terms and conditions must be adhered to,
- For peace of mind enrolling, SquarePeg Studios recommend purchasing the optional refund protection offered by We Teach Me, our third-party booking platform, at checkout. (See We Teach Me terms and conditions)
- On enrolment, the course fees must be paid in full or via our available payment plan options to secure the place.
- Cancellations 30 days or more before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will accept cancellations in writing up to one month before the start date of the class. The refund will be the fee paid less a $30 booking fee and administration fee.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the total fees paid if preferred. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Cancellations up to 21 days before class starts.
- SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid less the $30 administration fee. The credit note can be used for any course or workshop and is valid for twelve months from the issue date.
- Transfers between 21 and 5 days before the class starts will only be processed if the student's place in the course can be filled.
- SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student to an alternate date within 12 months of the original booking and issue a $30 administration fee.
- It is the responsibility of the student to attend all classes. No make-up classes, refunds or credits will be issued for non-attendance of all or part of the course or workshop.
- Jewellery Studio Bench access is available to students 18 years and older or by special arrangement for younger students.
- Some of our courses require prior learning and have minimum age requirements. Therefore, please check the course description thoroughly before enrolling.
COVID - 19 Update to terms and conditions as of 27th July 2022. Subject to change as per Government directives.
- Suppose a class or workshop cannot proceed due to NSW or Federal Government directives. In that case, SquarePeg Studios will transfer the student enrolment to the next scheduled course or workshop date and promptly notify the student of the change.
- If the new date is not suitable for the student, SquarePeg Studios will issue a credit note for the fees paid to date. The credit note will be valid for twelve months from the date of issue. SquarePeg Studios, at its discretion, may issue a refund less the $30 booking and administration fee.
- Students attending classes or workshops must adhere to Government guidelines and agree to follow the directions of SquarePeg Studios directors and tutors.