Learn to make Gemista (Rice filled vegetables)
A popular Greek dish - vegan & vegetarian friendly
Join us in this hands on interactive class where you will cook along side your host Kelly from The Hellenic Odyssey, while in the comfort of your own home. Kelly is a Greek home cook with a proud heritage, who loves to share her knowledge and passion for Greek food.
In this online class you will learn how to prepare one of the most popular and traditional authentic Greek dishes, Gemista. This is the type of food that you would expect to find in the kitchen of a Greek family home.
A much loved dish, gemista, are a variety of vegetables filled with a rice mixture. This will be the vegetarian version, therefore it will be suitable for vegetarians and vegans also.
Greek food is not only about sharing food and passing down recipes taught from grandmothers and mothers but it also ensures the recipes are not forgotten. It also follows deeply seeded traditions that imply that one’s home is a welcoming and hospitable environment which is open to all.
Some of our fondest memories involve food because of the strong sensory relationship we have with it. The flavours and aromas, the textures and the visual appeal of beautifully presented dishes are linked to the sweetness, the tastiness, the crunch and all that is part of this banquet we call life.
We look forward to connecting with you and creating fond culinary memories by transporting you to Greece even if it is just for a moment.
- If you prefer not to cook along and simply watch the demonstration you can also do that.
- The class will take place online via the Zoom application so please make sure you familiarise yourself with this app prior to the class and that you have access to video via your phone, computer, ipad, tablet or laptop.
- The class will not be recorded.
- At the end of the class you will have a meal ready for you and your family to enjoy.
Gemista: One of each vegetable, tomato, capsicum, zucchini and eggplant, however you could have any of the above that you like.
- How to prepare vegetarian gemista, a healthy and nutritious dish that aligns with the values of the Mediterranean diet
- Learn about Greek cuisine and the principles of the Mediterranean diet
- New skills to become an even more confident cook
- A 1 hour cook along experience with an experienced home cook demonstrating the recipe
- A recipe card and preparation instructions will be emailed to you 3-4 days prior to the class
- How to prepare for the class to get the most out of the live online class. A list of equipment you will need.
- Have ingredients washed and measured
- Gather all equipment required
Beginners, food enthusiasts, vegan, vegetarian, food lovers
A link to join the live Zoom cooking class. Our class will start on time and we do ask that you join on time.
Vendor since 2020
Cooking classes in Melbourne is what we are known for. We specialise in providing traditional and authentic cooking classes with a focus on the Mediterranean diet and Greek cuisine. We love what we do and want to share our knowledge of cooking and food with those who want to learn in a fun and inviting environment from a passionate home cook.
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds will not be processed. To request a transfer, The Hellenic Odyssey requires at least 3 days notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email email@example.com to organise.
- Missed classes. The Hellenic Odyssey does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with The Hellenic Odyssey to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by The Hellenic Odyssey, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at The Hellenic Odyssey or organised by The Hellenic Odyssey must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by The Hellenic Odyssey
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give The Hellenic Odyssey unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at The Hellenic Odyssey classes and events or on The Hellenic Odyssey premises. (For use of The Hellenic Odyssey marketing materials).
The Hellenic Odyssey does not provide refunds but allows transfers.
In the event that a class is cancelled by The Hellenic Odyssey, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.