Bodice Fitting Masterclass
Gosh, we come in all shapes and sizes and not least of in the bust and shoulders! Let us help you learn all the tricks to make a bodice fit you properly.
Debra Ryan joins us for another advanced sewing weekend to take us through how to fit our Bodice to our unique and wonderful bodies. Bodice fitting is all about analysing our bodies to make the necessary adjustments and then fitting and fitting again.
We will be using a commercial pattern as a base to work from. But the aim for this class is to walk away with a bodice block that will fit you and you will know how to do basic manipulations to change the style. We won't necessarily be sewing up a bodice in your preferred fabric (unless you are a super fast sewist!) so please do expect to work on a toile, or two/three, only.
Here is what to expect from the class:
- Measuring our bodies and choosing the right size
- Analysing our bodies to make necessary adjustments
- Making those flat pattern adjustments - This would include length and width alterations to bust, waist and shoulder and bust cup alterations.
- Making a toile to check adjustments and refining them
- Tweak and Toile again!
- AIM for DAY ONE: achieve a fitted bodice for each participant and make up a toile bodice to check and finalise the block.
- Make final adjustments to the pattern
- Learn dart manipulation for designing a bodice and simple neckline shapes to create a top or dress bodice to make into a simple dress.
Once you have these skills mastered, you'll have a block that fits!
Skill level: This is a more advanced class so you will be a great grasp of sewing and construction, and confident with patterns and understanding pattern instructions, and confident using your machine. Above all, have a readiness to toile and toile again!
- 11 & 12 March 2023 - 900am to 330pm
ABOUT DEBRA RYAN
Debra trained as a TAFE teacher of Fashion at East Sydney TAFE and taught a wide range of Fashion courses for TAFE NSW for sixteen years in regional NSW.
She later moved to Sydney in 2000 to work in a small business as a patternmaker/cutter, creating custom-made garments and custom alterations for individual clients, and continues to do so.
Debra also taught the Needlecraft Certificate at TAFE and is a passionate embroiderer and member of the Embroiderers Guild NSW.
What you will learn
- How to take measurements for your bodice. Then to analyse your figure and measurements to make appropriate pattern alterations for your bodice block.
- How to cut, make and fit your bodice toile in calico. Then make further alterations made from your bodice toile
What you will get
- 13.5 hours of expert tuition with a max of 6 students in the class
- A printed sewing Pattern with instructions to take home, a spool of Gutermann thread and a pack of sewing needles.
- An encouraging environment to have fun and learn from others as well
During the week, parking can be tricky. It is often best to stop at our door and bring your machine in and then find a park.
During the weekend, there is usually lots of parking on Jabez Street or Shepherd Street.
We are serviced by the M30, 423, 426 and 428 bus.
We are approx 20min walk from Sydenham or Stanmore Station
What to bring
- Your machine (with all it's power cords and the foot pedal) & your fabric scissors and sewing kit
- Your lunch - a fridge, microwave and sandwich is available
- 3metres of plain calico for your toile
What to wear
Wear comfy clothes and shoes! Might be best to wear a tight singlet underneath so you can strip off with modesty for your fitting!
This is a more advanced class so you will have a great grasp of sewing and construction, and confident with patterns and understanding pattern instructions. Above all, have a readiness to toile and toile again!
Sewing classes for adults and kids in Marrickville. Join us to begin your sewing journey or continue learning.
Cancellations & Refunds
If the organiser cancels the class:
You are entitled to a full refund.
If you can't attend the class:
- A refund can be requested 2 days before class starts. Free of charge.
- A transfer can be requested 48 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
- A credit note can be requested 48 days before the class starts. Free of charge.
No changes will be allowed after these times.
We recommend the refund upgrade option upon checkout in case you’re not able to attend the class. Learn more about refund upgrade option.
Terms & Conditions
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Usefulbox Sewing School or organised by Usefulbox Sewing School must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Usefulbox Sewing School
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Usefulbox Sewing School unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Usefulbox Sewing School classes and events or on Usefulbox Sewing School premises. (For use of Usefulbox Sewing School marketing materials).
More From Usefulbox Sewing School
Beginner Quilting ClassBeginner Quilting ClassMarrickville, NSW
Zips & Buttonholes MasterclassZips & Buttonholes Masterclass
AU$175.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 17 Jun 9:30AM (AEST)
Overlocker EssentialsOverlocker EssentialsMarrickville, NSW
Kawandi Quilt as you go classKawandi Quilt as you go classMarrickville, NSW
Sewing Drop In Class PassSewing Drop In Class Pass
from AU$65.00Marrickville, NSWWed, 14 Jun 6:30PM (AEST) (+9 more)
Pants Fitting MasterclassPants Fitting MasterclassMarrickville, NSW
Other classes you might like
Upholstery and Soft FurnishingUpholstery and Soft Furnishing
AU$265.00Live via ZoomWed, 12 Jul 6:45PM (AEST)
Zentangle Potrait ArtZentangle Potrait Art
AU$60.00Live via ZoomThu, 03 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Winter Watercolour Landscape for BeginnersWinter Watercolour Landscape for Beginners
from AU$35.00Live via ZoomMon, 26 Jun 6:30PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
All Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making AtelierAll Levels - Daytime Jewellery Making Atelier
from AU$720.00Marrickville, NSWThu, 07 Sep 10:00AM (AEST) (+1 more)
Claw Setting with Guest Tutor Peter KeepClaw Setting with Guest Tutor Peter Keep
from AU$645.00Marrickville, NSWFri, 17 Nov 10:00AM (AEDT)
Liquid Enamel - 2 Day or 4 Evening - All LevelsLiquid Enamel - 2 Day or 4 Evening - All Levels
from AU$350.00Marrickville, NSWWed, 02 Aug 6:30PM (AEST)
An Intro to MehndiAn Intro to Mehndi
AU$79.00Live via ZoomTue, 25 Jul 7:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects3D Modelling for Jewellery and Objects
from AU$445.00Live via ZoomWed, 06 Sep 6:30PM (AEST)
Make Mini Plant Pots at HomeMake Mini Plant Pots at Home
AU$95.00Live via ZoomSun, 30 Jul 1:00PM (AEST)Accepts private bookings
Make a Ring in a Day WorkshopMake a Ring in a Day Workshop
from AU$215.00Marrickville, NSWSat, 01 Jul 10:00AM (AEST) (+5 more)