Indian Cooking Class Online
Taste of Asia
INDIAN COOKING ONLINE
India is one of the great world cuisines, with diverse ethnic subcultures and an endless repertoire of excitingly delicious curries and vegetable dishes. In this class, you'll learn all about spices- their fundamental qualities and how to extract their optimal flavour. We'll guide you through the layered preparation of a few traditional curries, and some lively accoutrements to round out your meal.
- Learn the basic and fundamental skills to create stunning Indian dishes
- Have fun in this interactive and sociable cooking experience
- Access to a wide variety of written and multi-media resources
- Professional instruction from an experienced chef
- Cook from the comfort of your home
LIVE STREAM: ON THE DAY
- This Indian online cooking experience lasts for approximately 1.5-2 hours
- The chef will begin with an overview of some of the basic ingredients and guide you through some basic organisational tips.
- We'll begin with the naan bread, mixing the dough and letting it rise for an hour or so.
- Next, we'll make aloo gobi and afterwards the prawn or chicken masala.
- Finally, we cook our naan bread and present all of our dishes together.
- Afterwards, our chef will wrap up the cooking class, and participants will be encouraged to show off some of their creations.
- Naan - Indian Flatbread
- Prawn or Chicken Masala
- Aloo Gobi - Potato & Cauliflower Curry
Mise En Place- What to setup:
Naan - Indian Flatbread traditional
- 90g bakers flour, plus extra for dusting; 1/4 tsp dry yeast , 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp greek yoghurt, room temperature; 50ml milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp melted ghee
- 75g prawns, tails on & shells removed or sliced chicken thighs
- ½ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp salt, 2 TBL vegetable oil or ghee
- ½ brown onion, diced, 1 garlic clove, minced, 2cm ginger, minced, 1 green chilli, diced, ½ tomato, diced, ¼ cup water
- chopped coriander for garnish
- ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, ½ tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp ground coriander, ¼ tsp black pepper
Aloo Gobi - Potato & Cauliflower Curry
- 2-3 TBL ghee or butter
- ¼ cauliflower, sliced into thick florets, 1 large potato, sliced into thick batons, ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced, 2cm ginger, minced, ½ tomato, diced
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp ground turmeric, ¼ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, ¼ tsp salt, 1 pinch asafoetida
- 50-100ml water, ½ lemon, juiced, chopped coriander to serve
Basmati- Indian rice 200g (optional)
HOW WE RUN THE CLASS?
- Move at your own pace! Sign on to this course at any time, we have created a full library of pre-recorded videos, class notes, and recipes for you to view before the live class sessions.
- The online cooking sessions are meant to complement your learning. For our live session, you'll cook alongside one of our chefs who will guide you through each recipe. You'll have the opportunity to simply watch or cook alongside with us. During the live session, you'll have the chance to ask questions and interact with some of the other participants as well.
- When you sign up for 4 classes, you'll be given 6 months of access to our online platform. If you sign up for a single class, you'll have access to our platform for a single week.
- Before the live cooking sessions, please give yourself a chance to view our platform, see the recipes, watch our videos, and set up your ingredients and equipment to make the online session as smooth and seamless as possible. Let us know if you have dietary restrictions and we'll happily come up with some creative and delicious substitutions for you.
- After signing up, you'll receive an automatic e-mail with the details for your live cooking session.
- Prior to the class, we recommend you gather all of the needed equipment, to measure each ingredient, and arrange everything in a logical and reachable space. That way, you can focus on the more fun aspects of the class- cooking, socialising, and eating.
- a sharp knife and cutting board
- Sturdy sauté pans, large pots
- A set of small mixing bowls.
- Tea towels and cloths for wiping and cleaning.
- Spatula, tong, serving spoon
- Measuring cups, spoons, and a digital scale
CAN MY CHILDREN JOIN?
- Children who are attending online cooking classes must be participating with a parent or guardian.
- Because of the difficulty of the course material, we recommend this program for children ten years old or older.
CANCELLATIONS AND CHANGE FOR DATES
- We have a no refund policy for cancellations made with less than 48 hours notice.
- If you purchase vouchers from a 3rd party, you will be bound by their terms and conditions.
We recommend comfortable clothing and closed-toed shoes. It’s a great idea to tie your hair back if it’s long too. We’ll have aprons and chef hats for the whole team if you let us know so we can organise them!
Vendor since 2020
Otao kitchen was launched in Richmond, Melbourne, Australia in July 2014, with the goal of celebrating the rich and varied cooking experiences of Melbourne’s immigrant multicultural communities. Its founder, Chef Ha Nguyen, originally from Hanoi shares his passion for food, instructing customers in the exotic diaspora of Asian and around the world cuisine.
Today our guests can get inspired by cooking with our local and international chefs, listen to their cooking and travel experiences in Asia and around the world and bring some cooking and cultural tips and tricks home. With the nods at the diversity of communities within Melbourne, Otao kitchen features an array of food experiences on Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Dumplings, Indian, Korean, Indonesian, as well as French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican cuisines and more.
In 2020 with the challenge of global Covid 19 pandemic, we set out to capture the curriculum of our hands-cooking classes and deliver it online to home cooks in Australia and across the world to guide you to cooking success and better health.
Otao kitchen is named after Ông Táo, the Vietnamese Kitchen God. Ông Táo is regarded as the advocate of Vietnamese families to the gods and a messenger between Heaven and Earth. In preparation for a prosperous year, Vietnamese families clean their homes and polish their silver. During the New Year celebrations, Ông Táo comes to serve as the Kitchen God to Vietnamese families. As the old year ends, he flys back to Heaven on a magic carp reporting on each family’s life and experiences over the past year to the Jade Emperor, the King of Heaven. Ông Táo is regarded as a family member and various prayers and offerings are brought to him at the family altar.
Otao Kitchen aims to increase the accessibility of healthy food options with hands-on cooking. Our cooking classes offer you an intelligent, thoughtful and authentic cooking experience - that is fun, adventurous and suitable for people of all ages, teams, work party, backgrounds or levels of cooking skills. The skills you will learn are fully transferable to your own kitchen and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you create at home after the classes.
For face-to-face cooking classes visit https://otaokitchen.com.au
For online cooking classes and portal visit http://homecookinglive.com
- Refund and transfer requests. Refunds, transfers or credit will not be processed if you cancel within 48 hours of the class or event commencing. To request a refund or transfer, Otao kitchen requires at least 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to organise.
- Partial refunds. Otao kitchen has the right to issue a partial refund, (i.e., A % of the total order) and to retain any booking and processing fees associated with the order.
- Missed classes. Otao kitchen does not offer refunds, transfers, or makeup sessions for missed classes. If you can't make a class, you can arrange with Otao kitchen to send someone else in your place.
- Cancelled class/event. In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Otao kitchen or organised by Otao kitchen must agree to these terms and conditions.
1.) LIABILITY WAIVER
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Otao kitchen
2.) PHOTO & VIDEO
I agree to give Otao kitchen unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Otao kitchen classes and events or on Otao kitchen premises. (For use of Otao kitchen marketing materials).
Otao kitchen requires 48 hours notice in writing prior to the class commencing for a refund, transfer or credit.
In the event that a class is cancelled by Otao kitchen, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund, transfer or credit.